Thursday, May 1, 2014

CSA Today: 5/1/14 - Plenty of Greens!

Wow, just as the title suggests, plenty of greens!

The season is still early so still some imported/wholesale organics, but also more from the farm fresh!


In my delivery this week:
Tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, strawberries, oranges, pears, mizuna, kale, pack choi, arugula.  Lots of greens!

Not only do I love the greens for the veggi-ness of them, but also saving them for later.
Kale, spinach and other greens when you eat just the leaves, freeze the stems or any unused portions and use them later for soup.

Also, once while I was driving and listening to NPR's Splendid Table, when I heard the recipe for green soup.  It sounded absolutely delicious!  So I gave it a try, and its one of my favorite ways to serve spinach and kale in the cold winters.  I prefer to use fresh greens for that soup, but still if you were on a tight budget or time it might work.  Another great thing to make with all the discarded odds and ends of vegetables is a veggie stock.  I do this all the time... cutting up cabbage? Save the parts you don't serve up (or are too bitter to serve) in the freezer and make soup.  I really need to learn to can, I have a feeling I'm going to need to can tomatoes and other veggies before this summer is over.  I"m almost overwhelmed with the number of veggies this box provides and I got the small box!


No comments:

Post a Comment