Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Cinco de Mayo - easy peppers and steak dinner

Since its Cinco de Mayo, then it makes sense to cook a mexican inspired dinner.

Also, my bell peppers and onion that I got 2 weeks ago are going to go bad if I don't use them.


So first I sliced everything thinly. TIP:  Wear glasses when cutting onions.
For the first time ever I didn't cry while cutting onions.... the trick?  I was wearing my glasses.  I wear computer glasses sometimes, but today I did while cutting onions.  And no tears.  I suggest getting a cheap pair at the dollar store (reading glasses with a weak prescription) and keep them in the kitchen. :)





Next I added a bit of olive oil to a pan and warmed it up.  Then start sauteing the veggies.



I added about a tablespoon of hot sauce, some garlic powder ( I add that to just about everything), some salt and pepper.  I also added some jamaican jerk seasoning.  I know its not mexican, but its my go to hot mix.  Its got cayenne flakes, thyme, cinnamon and other spices.  I added a dash of Worcestershire sauce to add some depth.  Then just before it was done cooking I added about 3/4 cup of thinly sliced beef.  Just a simply steak I had in the freezer, but thin enough to cook quickly.

So quick, that the steak was done within 2-3 minutes.  My only regret is that I didn't think before hand to cook some quinoa.  It would have been perfect underneath the veggies and meat to soak up the sauce.

You could also toss in a splash of beer and boil some of it off to add to the sauce.  The best way to match an alcohol with the food :D



Delicious, but a bit sweeter than I originally wanted...to many bell peppers. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment