Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Make your own Instant Oatmeal instead of packets!

My son loves oatmeal.  (Cinnamon and Apples to be precise)
As a growing boy, however, he goes through the packets very quickly.  That adds up to $$$$$$.

To save money, and trips to the grocery store to buy more boxes of oatmeal, I found quick oats at my local bulk supplier.  I've mentioned before how much I love my local bulk store - where I get quick oats, sugar, flour, dried herbs and spices at unbelievable prices.  In case you don't know of a local bulk store near you, I've found this supplier online.

So I fill my jar with quick oats and add cinnamon and sugar until it looks lightly coated.

I happen to keep a jar of just cinnamon and sugar mixed for when I want to make toast.
I take several Tablespoons of this mix (maybe 10 or more- depends on how much oatmeal you have in the jar.) and add it to the oatmeal.

Then first thing in the morning I've been taking a packet of apples and cinnamon oatmeal, add 3-4 teaspoons of my oatmeal mix and boom. I've got enough to keep a hungry 6 yr old boy happy, without going through my boxes of oatmeal twice as fast.

For $2.00, I get ALOT of Quick Oats!

My next goal is to find suitable dried apples to add to this mix so I can stop buying the store packets all together.  Not only will I save money (bulk oatmeal is unbelievably cheaper than the equivalent in packets), but I'll save on the waste I produce from throwing away the packets.

Hmmmmm maybe I'll dry some apples myself! (But that's for another post!)

As you can see I add a cinnamon stick for extra flavor, and cuz it looks cool!

Quick and yummy oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment