Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Camping

Keeping busy here at the busy beaver household.

Warmer weather has peeked in but still frigid at nights.

With spring break here, I've decided to do some camping.

My son loves to camp, but we've only done it once together.

So here is the challenge, getting things ready for camping, but not just camping, cold weather camping.

If it was just me, I wouldn't be so worried, and could take 1/3 of what I've packed.  A concerned mom though, I have to make sure my boy is dry and warm.   The hard part is also doing this on the cheap.

If I had time and the funds, I could get cold weather gear:  Synthetic fiber clothing or wool layers.  As they say for camping and back packing.... cotton is rotten.

So I've packed up :
My tent - I did splurge and get a tent that pops up in midair.
Pop Up Tent XP3033

But why? Why not use my normal quick clip tent?  Because, I'm a single mom with a 6 yr old boy going camping somewhere 12 hours away that I'm driving by myself.  I'm looking for shortcuts but without compromising the fun.  And when he's older (and taller) he can help me set up the tent.  This will not be my tent of choice for a longer trip.  But since its just a couple nights and its just the 2 of us. This will work.

2- sleeping bags and 5 extra blankets (including one wool one)  - The weather calls for nights in the 40's, so I want to take extra blankets for warmth.

Excessively extra clothes for warmth- I've packed every polar fleece that I own.  It will be warm during the day, but they are calling for rain the nights we're camping, and I anticipate us getting muddy.  I try for light packing, but in this case, extra is good. (More on that later)

Tarp, rope, and 2 camping poles - I'll probably set up a rain shelter first, with my tent below it (have never tested this new tent in rain) and some extra space to cook with my camp stove.

Camping stove - Homemade :)  Ikea cutlery bucket, 2 long bolts for support, and cut a hole with a dremmel.  (check out my post here)

Rain Boots - incredibly difficult to find to buy in early march in Ohio -surprisingly.  Like I said I anticipate getting muddy.

Homemade Fire-starters - cardboard egg carton, dryer lint and melted wax. Super easy.

Camp Kitchen Items: 
1 large camp pot - for washing dishes in
1 medium camp pot - for heating up water
1 small pot  - for cooking meals (a little find at Goodwill outlet- its heavy duty and perfect sized)
1 camp skillet - extra for cooking in case I need it - it folds up :)
2 Ikea kids plates - They have a rim to prevent spillage

Camp food
My camp food was supplied by True Heights Outfitters.

Thanks to Brandon and John Riggins for their advice and store so I could buy my supplies.

In this picture:  Really tasty Beef Stew, Chicken casserole, italian skillet bread,  raisin cinnamon fry bread, 2 hot apple desserts, 2 scrambled egg breakfasts, and some dehydrated apples.

Plus 2 utensils :)









And of course marshmallows for roasting (and roasting sticks)

What camp trip is complete without smores?
Additional gear: 
First Aid kit, flashlights, lantern (although I'm going to attempt to make one), rain gear, trash bags, towels, snacks, etc. 

I'm taking my camera with me and will comment when I return.

My trusty day pack - which has gone on a couple adventures with me (including Niagara).  This was also supplied to me by True Heights Outfitters.  A black diamond bullet pack. This is a great pack, I strive to only use it for any trip I make.  Minimalist packing at its best.  In fact, for the first leg of my trip, it will contain what my son and I need until we get to the camp trip - this includes an overnight stay. 
I love this bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment