Thursday, March 27, 2014

Camping in the rain

In my prior post I mentioned that I've camped in the rain.
(Ironically as I write this, its snowing heavily)


This was back in my younger years in Girl Scouts.  I went "primitive camping".  It was one of the best experiences of my life.   We pitched tents of tarps and poles and  dug our own latrines.

While there will be bathroom facilities on my upcoming trip..... I will be able to apply some lessons I learned on that trip.

1) Getting wet is sometimes inevitable.
When we arrived at the camp site, 1/2 our troop was already there and set up.  It was also beginning to storm.  So working in groups we set up everyone else's tents, mine was 2nd to last.  It was up quickly, then everyone left to set up the last tent while we stowed our gear. We were soaked as we had done the set up in pouring down Ohio rain.






2) Get dry and warm quickly

My tent mate and I quickly changed into dry clothes then we joined the others.  As a result the 2 of us were the only ones NOT to get sick after the trip.

This is why I've packed Extra extra clothes, and every piece of polar fleece I own. I'll be also taking my 1 wool blanket.

3) Pack the right materials if you can

Wool is one of the best materials out there.  It wicks moisture away from you, keeping you dryer.  Its a natural fiber so it holds in heat better.

I went on an overnight trip once with this blanket.  I stayed in a cabin with others, the only source of heat was a wood stove.  But if no one feeds it, the temperature drops to very cold.

I remember waking up to one of my buddies feeding the fire. Obviously he had gotten cold. I was toasty warm in my wool blanket.

Most commercial sleeping bags you find at walmart or other like stores are full of cotton.  When trying to keep warm - cotton is rotten.  It stays wet forever, and draws the heat out of your body.

Go to a knowledgeable outfitter, if able, like True Heights Outfitters, which I'm fortunate is so close.
They can help you gain knowledge on what you need for your camping situation.

I'm spring camping, so I'll need to stay warm and dry.  I don't have the money right now for the proper sleeping bag, but will make do.    And just for full disclosure, I'm not getting paid to advocate for True Heights.  They are friends of mine, and have fantastic advice on camping.  Even if they weren't friends, they are honest and very knowledgeable.  One visit to their website shows a host of information on how many camping hours and hiking miles they've logged.

I'll continue to get my camping and outdoor supplies from them.

Once again, my favorite bag that I got from them.

Another "Right Material" is a proper sized tent.

Sure, 6 person tent on sale can be appealing, but if you don't have 6 people, you don't have extra hands to put it up.  You also don't have 6 people's body heat to keep it warm.

I'm taking a small 2 person tent for me and my son.  With our extra blankets and just the 2 of us, it should be quite cozy.

Happy Camping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment