Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Tea Time





I like coffee, I do, but I'm more a tea girl. Today I decided that I really didn't want to do coffee, I've been a bit jittery lately. So I drank Yerba Mate Chai Tea instead.

I love the flavor, and its a great diet tea, as it gives you energy and suppresses your appetite. I kinda ran out of time for breakfast this morning, so this was a great way to get me through to lunch.  Also, since I was at work, this is in a tea bag. I don't really feel like lugging my tea strainers and loose leafs to work.
My pretty tea cup.

Normal Yerba Mate teas are packed with energy and great teas for you, but truthfully, to me... they taste like a tea cup of yard clippings. Bleh.
So the chai packs enough flavor in without being overwhelming.

My other favorite teas are Earl Grey and English Breakfast. Tea is one of the few things I can drink without sugar, any time. Although, I do enjoy real southern sweet tea as well.
But if you are trying to give up sugar (like in forebearance February for example) it works well.

I tend to prefer loose leaf tea over tea bags, but I'm not a snob and take the shortcut when I have to.
When making loose leaf its important to have a good tea strainer.  You know, one that doesn't accidentally spill tea leafs into your cup.

I love mine because its fine mesh doesn't let any stray tea particles through, but plenty of flavor.  Its also machine washable. A total bonus in the busy beaver household.

Now depending on the tea, usually you put in water that is just under boiling, and let it brew for 4-5 minutes. Sometimes less. Typically if you want a stronger cup of tea, put in more tea. Don't let the tea brew longer!
That just makes it bitter.
So strong tea = More tea.

Of course then there is the whole array of teas that are herbal... basically any plant you wanna try.
When I cut back my lemon balm this summer because it was insanely overgrown (its in the mint family after all).  I made a lovely light lemony tea.

Another favorite is Kava Kava tea.  Its super relaxing, and calms the nerves. I usually do my own herbal blend of chamomile, kava root, ginseng, ginko and mint tea... makes for a calming, relaxing good night sleep tea.  There are commercial brands of the tea ready to go if you don't feel like making your own blend.
With Kava though, it can be tough on the liver, so use with care.


Despite what JigglyPuff says, after drinking Kava tea and having a great night sleep, I can handle the morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment